The Support Engineer’s mission is to maintain and enhance web applications and provide support that drives goals and produces positive ROI for our clients. The key expectations of the Support Engineer are to:
- Support web applications using PHP, Magento 2 and Wordpress.
- Working knowledge of LAMP/LEMP web architecture.
- Effective client communication on issues, deadlines, and requirements.
The success of the Support Engineer will be measured by:
- Solving client issues in an efficient and timely manner.
- Consistently meet committed to deadlines and SLAs.
- Successful collaboration with other development professionals.
Demonstrated Skills and Key Competencies
The Support Engineer will have 2+ years of experience demonstrating the following:
Domain Expertise - Subject Matter: in depth understanding of PHP web applications and supporting technologies.
- Proficient in implementing, maintaining, and debugging PHP based web applications such as Magento and Wordpress
- Familiarity with all parts of a web application, including Linux, Apache/Nginx, MySQl, GIT, SSL certificates, Web Application Firewalls, caching and DNS.
- Understanding of AWS services such as EC2 and RDS.
Customer Orientation (internal or external) - supports clients and internal teams to ensure functionality and uptime
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain issues, protocol, and processes with team and management.
- Responsiveness to accountability to requests and deadlines.
- Stellar troubleshooting skills with the ability to spot issues before they become problems
- Time and project management skills, with the capability to prioritize and multitask as needed
Collaboration – uses a collaborative approach to work
- Proactively engages with other colleagues across the business to solve problems and overcome obstacles
- Actively participates in professional, productive discussions to consider the pros and cons of pursuing opportunities and removing obstacles
- Consistently demonstrates ability to hear and respectively consider others’ views to contribute to the discussion and move the decision process forward
Success Objectives: First 12 Months
- Within 30 days, an “A” level Support Engineer will be able to:
- Troubleshoot, identify, and solve issues on Wordpress sites.
- Collaborate with the DevOps and Development teams.
- Within the first 60 days,
- Troubleshoot, identify, and solve issues on Magento sites.
- Take ownership of client requests.
- Within the first 90 days,
- Triage and delegate client requests based on workload and skillset.
- Within the first 120 days,
- Execute on project work that adds functionality to current web applications.
- Solve root issues of recurring website issues.
- Demonstrate an ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams consisting of DevOps Engineers, Software Engineers, Front End Developers, Designers, marketers and project managers.
- Demonstrate a strong desire to learn and a commitment to continue to grow as a professional.